From Turkey:

I read that the vitamin inositol is tried to reduce the symptoms of neuropathy. What kind of vitamin is inositol? Could you give me any explanations?

Studies in rats have shown that supplementation with inositol may reverse some of the abnormalities of diabetic neuropathy. There is little data regarding its efficacy in humans.

Increased activity of the sorbitol pathway is felt to at least in part contribute to the development of neuropathy in diabetes. Briefly, when the blood sugar is high, glucose is converted in the nerve cell to sorbitol which causes water retention and swelling in the nerve and also leads to decreased levels of myo-inositol in the cell. Most studies in humans have involved the use of medicines which inhibit the enzyme aldose reductase which converts the glucose to sorbitol. Use of these inhibitors is still considered investigational.

At the present time, inositol supplementation above recommended daily allowances should be considered investigational. Of course, it is important to ensure a normal intake of all vitamins and nutrients.