Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

I am a 33 year old man who just got told I had diabetes. I have no history in my family. However, I was involved in a bad car accident back in autumn, 1994 [2 years ago]. My blood sugar went up after this incident. My question is: Is there any information on this type of situation: onset of diabetes (elevated blood sugar) after a major accident and can I correct it?

Answer:

I don't know what kind of treatment you had after your accident, but such major stresses (and their treatment) can cause blood sugars to rise temporarily. They can also uncover "glucose intolerance" which can be a very early sign of diabetes to come.