From Maine, USA:

Hi. I am 13 years old and got my dog when I was seven. I have a male Miniature Schnauzer that is six years old. Maxwell used to be a little bit overweight, and then started to lose it about 3-4 months ago. He started to drink a lot of water, and eat less. That is when his weight dropped. After being diagnosed with diabetes, he started to take insulin. After about a month or so, the veterinarian dropped the amount of insulin that Maxwell recieved. He was acting fine, and eating normal.

I was just wondering if you have any tips, ideas, suggestions, or comments about this. What should I do to take best care of Max? Is there any special foods that he sould have? Excercise routines? Rest? Wet food, dry food?

Please tell me anything you know about this, and anything at all that I can do.

Sorry to hear of Maxwell's difficulties. You should be happy to learn that dogs and other pets with diabetes usually do well with insulin therapy, although obviously there can be setbacks. In addition to insulin therapy, a well-balanced meal plan, and plenty of exercise, would be good ideas for pets with diabetes.

There are a few webpages about diabetes in animals; I have listed them at Pets with Diabetes.