Question:

From Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA:

I work at a daycare center, and we have a 4 year old boy that has diabetes. We have been asked to take his blood sugar reading before lunch and I was wondering what the normal range of readings should be like and what would be considered dangerous? The mother has asked us to notify her in case the reading falls below 60, but has only recommended us to limit all foods with sugar when it reads about 300 or above. But we were wondering if the child is getting into any danger. Also is there a source that tells us of recommended diet for a child with diabetes?

Answer:

Each child has a different care plan. There is no one standardized approach.

Sounds like Mom has a reasonable plan for her child (she'd defined both upper and lower limits for you to worry about; and has given you guidelines on what to do).

Reading information from other sources (which might be out-of-date or come from a different perspective) could become very confusing. The most accurate information would come from contacting the child's health care team, if you obtain permission from the parents.

SS