From America OnLine:

My chid has had diabetes since age 2; she's now 7. We used to see a doctor back home and have since moved. My daughter and I both hated the superior attitude of the doctor and the mean way she was cared for in the hospital. Since we moved we have not gone to a doctor for her diabetes. Some for fear of their attitude and some because time has been marching on so quickly. We also had a period of no insurance for this "pre-existing." It's been 3 years since we've gone to the endocrinologist and we both have fears about going, like a stay in the hospital to get everything leveled, or just plain old finger shaking ("bad girl").

I used to not test at all, but now we are testing. Last month she was in the 130 - 220 range, with a few 300's now and then, but she then had a abscess in her mouth and her sugars went to 500+. Well, since then, I've done small changes to get to 130, but so far have only gotten her to 330. I would like to take her in, but am afraid of what will happen. I feel that now that we have insurance, I can take her to someone. But I'd rather have her sugar's down where I am comfortable. Is there a Dosing Chart for insulin with averages? I test and average weekly before making changes. Usually 1 unit Regular or NPH depending on the problem area, per 100 high.

I'm writing here seeing that I have no doctor to consult.

Although doctors in the UK moan all the time about our National Health Service, questions like yours make me appreciate what a fantastic institution it is. I get very depressed when I learn about the insurance problems faced by patients in other countries. Anyway, you must go to a paediatric endocrinologist with an interest in diabetes and go regularly. If you had all the answers and were able to do everything necessary, then there would be no need to attend a doctor at all.

You should expect expert advice about insulin dosing, diet and all other matters relating to managing diabetes in a growing, healthy child. A secondary, but very real, benefit is the regular health and growth check and opportunity to gauge blood sugar control with an HbA1c test. There are also other important tests to screen for the first signs of any diabetes related problems.

Your early experiences with your previous doctor were unfortunate but don't let this put you off. Anyone who acts in a superior way about diabetes and claims to have all the answers doesn't understand the problem.

Remember, the best Diabetes Team in the world is completely useless without the most important member - the patient!