Question:

From Virginia, USA:

I am a 30 year old male with Type 1 diabetes which I have had for 19 years. I would like to know when is the best time for me to exercise. I'm worried about going low, so should I eat a big meal, and then exercise?

Answer:

Regular exercise is as important in diabetes as insulin and care over diet. It would take a book to answer your question fully because the type of exercise and its duration are important.

Nobody likes to exercise after a large meal but it is nonetheless, vital that you have enough carbohydrate aboard to avoid hypos. Many adults prepare for exercise by reducing their insulin dose beforehand. How much depends upon your insulin regimen (number of injections per day and doses).

You should also have some fast acting carbohydrate before exercise; e.g., a muesli bar, and make sure that you have a suitable rescue food near at hand such as glucose tablets or a glucose drink. Your diabetes team will be able to give advice tailored to your individual needs and no exercise should be out of bounds -- even marathon running.

[Editor's comment: There are other questions about exercise that you might also want to review. WWQ]