Question:

From Australia:

I have IDDM. I have three children all of whom are HLA identical. The two eldest already have IDDM. What is the likelihood of my youngest also getting IDDM?

Answer:

You must have the feeling that you are sitting on a time bomb. I am curious to know how you found out about your childrens' HLA type without someone also checking their islet cell antibody status because this would add predictive power. Nor do you mention the age of your children. The older the youngest becomes, the less likely is diabetes -- the risk drops dramatically over 40 years. Without knowing any more, I would say that the risk for your remaining non-diabetic child is around 30% but much less if islet cell antibody negative.