From Ontario, California, USA:

My 10 year old son has been having blood sugar levels of 60-280 for the last two weeks (average upon awaking with no food is 135-155 in the morning). This is in the period of 24-48 hours. Weight loss of 5-6 lbs in the last three weeks. No excessive urination or thirst, but dizziness, blurry vision, itchy skin, some fatigue, and nausea especially after eating. His father is Type 2 and so our diet is a healthy one. An extensive family history (father, paternal grandpa/great grandpa/uncles, maternal aunt (died at 13)/great grandma/great aunts).

The glycohemoglobin test done this week showed within the normal range. Our family physician is not taking it seriously and I cannot get her to return my calls, so I do not know the exact results of the blood tests. Should I find someone who does take it seriously or am I over reacting?

A hemoglobin A1C test is not accurate enough to diagnose very recent onset of diabetes as it reflects average blood sugar over the past 2-3 months. If the blood sugar has only been mildly high for a few weeks, the test may still be in the normal range.

I strongly suggest you speak to your doctor and find out whether there is sugar or ketones in the urine and what the blood sugar is, preferably one hour after a meal high in sugar). As the pancreas is failing, it may be able to make enough insulin overnight when your child isn't eating to keep the blood sugar normal, but may not be able to make enough insulin to keep the blood sugar after he eats.

If your child is already losing weight or has ketones in the urine, it is important to get immediate treatment if he has diabetes, before he gets sicker and develops ketoacidosis.

I assume you are testing his blood sugar with his father's meter. A value of over 200 should be confirmed in a lob and taken seriously.

If he doesn't have diabetes (and it sound highly suspicious that he does) he still should have further evaluation as to what is causing his symptoms and weight loss.