Question:

From Texas, USA:

My son is 18 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 15. Approximately six months prior to his diagnosis, he was heavy into body building, including weightlifting and taking large quantities of over the counter supplements. The supplements contained among other things, significant amounts of B complex vitamins. I have since read where diabetes can be brought on by an imbalance in the body of B vitamins. He has been in what is referred to as the "honeymoon" stage for three years. My question is:

1. Could the taking of large doses of vitamins and supplements at the age of 15 have caused some type of imbalance in his body?
  2. Could this have brought on his Type 1 diabetes?
  3. If some type of imbalance was caused, is there anything that can be attempted to reverse it?

Answer:

This is a good question and frankly one that I cannot answer with certainty. We know of many things which may contribute to the onset of type I diabetes, such as environment and food, but unfortunately there is not a lot that I have seen that substantiates these claims. So I can not rule out the possibility that the vitamins contributed to the onset nor can I give you any information on what can reverse it. As of now, there are no cures once someone has developed diabetes.

MH