Question:

I was mildly disturbed when our family went to diabetes camp last summer to see that all but two of the young adult diabetics who were counselors there were significantly overweight. Was this coincidence, or is it more difficult for a Type 1 diabetic to control his/her weight than a non-diabetic? Is there a basic difference in metabolism, or might this be a side effect of extra calories needed to treat lows?

Diabetes Camp was a wonderful experience for the whole family, by the way. I enthusiastically recommend it.

Answer:

It's hard to be sure what you mean by "significantly overweight." Obesity is common, and insulin can cause weight gain.

My advice is to relax, and to enjoy camp. And don't put your values about obesity into your daughter's thinking: you might make her get obsessive about her weight.

SS