Question:

From Indiana, USA:

I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes, and feel I am still in a fog on what I should be doing to live with it.

Answer:

Anyone facing a diagnosis as serious as diabetes is bound to be knocked back for a while. In fact, failure to feel like you do is often a sign of not taking the news seriously enough. However, as you will also be discovering, many of your preconceptions about diabetes will already have been proved wrong and I am sure you are aware that the outlook for patients getting diabetes today is considerably better than it was 10-20 years ago.

To answer your question directly, perhaps the best way of learning to cope is to learn as much as possible about the way your body reacts to different situations i.e., measure plenty blood sugars and ask lots of questions. Join your local Diabetes Association and read the material they produce.

I never cease to be amazed how quickly patients and families get to grips with all the minutiae of diabetes and, in no time at all, they are teaching me.