Our daughter has just recently switched her insulin to Humalog® [lispro insulin]. She is 18 years old and is living away from home. She/We have successfully managed her diabetes since she has been 12 years old. We asked her what the adjustments are with this new insulin for sick days. She did not know. She will be asking her doctor. Do you have any information on this subject?

I am not aware of any specific recommendations for use of Humalog on sick days. I have found that it works as well as or better than Regular insulin when extra insulin is needed during illness. It works faster and doesn't last as long as Regular, so you are less apt to have multiple doses of extra insulin overlapping.

I have used either the same amount as Regular insulin or slightly less.