From the Sultanate of Oman:

I am a 20 year old engineering student from India. I was diagnosed as IDDM in August 1995 after a prolonged period of illness (boils in the face and neck, viral fever, jaundice and finally Bell's palsy).

Now I am taking 20 units of human Mixtard (70-30 ratio) insulin a day. 14 units pre-breakfast and 6 units pre-dinner. I would like to know if I could be controlled on oral hypoglycemics.

It seems as though you do indeed have IDDM or Type 1 Diabetes. This is an autoimmune disorder which nearly always completely destroys your ability to produce your own insulin. For this reason you must accept that you will always have to take insulin at least until some satisfactory technic can be developed in man for islet cell transplantation.

In the meantime, it is important to do all you can to keep in good control and so to avoid the long term problems with diabetes. You would be greatly helped in this if you could be cared for by an established diabetic care team.

[Editor's comment: There's a small chance you do indeed have Type 2 diabetes: if you were massively overweight at the time of diagnosis. If you were massively obese, and if you've seen dramatic improvement in your blood sugar with a program of gradual weight loss, it would be reasonable to very carefully try a program of combination therapy (with oral agents and insulin together), then perhaps later wean you off the insulin shots to oral agents only; I certainly wouldn't recommend trying this, however, unless you're under the care of an experienced Diabetes Team. WWQ]