From Washington, DC, USA:

I have been an IDDM since age 13. I am now 45, have two children and am relatively well controlled and complication-free. I take three shots of insulin a day. I have found that frequently I experience an insulin reaction, unexplained by food, medication or exercise, shortly (12-24 hours) before my periods start. Is there any link between the hormonal changes during the menstrual cycle and the sugar levels?

It is not uncommon for women to notice changes in their blood sugar level before or during their menstrual cycle. If your menstrual cycle is fairly regular, you may be able to anticipate the change in blood sugar and give a little less insulin or eat a little more food on that day. I would be sure to discuss this with your own physician before making any changes.