I have had diabetes for nineteen years and recently have had my blood sugars fluctuate between 2 and 20 mmol/l [36-360 mg/dl]. This is really depressing me and I am wondering if something is really wrong. I am on 12 NPH and 6 R am and 6 R with supper and 12 NPH at bedtime. Do you think if they bounce around like this that it could be rebound? Also, I received a box of sugar free chocolates for Christmas and ate most of them; now my sugars are even worse. It just seems that no matter how much I increase my insulin, nothing works. It is turning into an obsession with me to get good sugars and nothing is working. Do you think changing the long acting insulin would help? Thank you, this is really getting me down.

You may need a change in your insulin to help level things out. Please talk with your health care provider. The "sugar free" chocolates can have ingredients in them that will affect your blood glucose levels. For example, sugar alcohols are in sugar free products but do contribute to a rise in your blood glucose levels. You may want to talk with a Registered Dietitian to help you with a meal plan which also can level out your blood glucose numbers.

[Editor's comment: There are several possibilities to explain your bouncing blood sugars. I would also be concerned that you're "chasing" high blood sugars, and every time you add extra Regular insulin, you risk crashing into hypoglycemia. Discuss with your Diabetes Team how to stabilize your meal plan, insulin doses, and activity levels, and things will probably calm down. WWQ]