From New York City, New York, USA:

My 11 year old son eats more candy now than before he was diagnosed. I don't mind him eating some candy, but he thinks of it as a way to control his blood sugar, and wants it more because he knows he can't have it. Any suggestions?

I think allowing some candy, and working it into a meal plan, can help some people from obsessing about it. However, I don't recommend treating low blood glucose levels with candy as it may serve as a type of reward. Also, low blood sugars need to be treated with foods containing sugar but with no fat so the sugar is allowed to enter the blood more rapidly.

[Editor's Note: Emergency Glucose has a list of several products that are suitable for treating low blood sugar. JSH]