Question:

From New York City, New York, USA:

My 11 year old son eats more candy now than before he was diagnosed. I don't mind him eating some candy, but he thinks of it as a way to control his blood sugar, and wants it more because he knows he can't have it. Any suggestions?

Answer:

I think allowing some candy, and working it into a meal plan, can help some people from obsessing about it. However, I don't recommend treating low blood glucose levels with candy as it may serve as a type of reward. Also, low blood sugars need to be treated with foods containing sugar but with no fat so the sugar is allowed to enter the blood more rapidly.

MH

[Editor's Note: Emergency Glucose has a list of several products that are suitable for treating low blood sugar. JSH]