Question:

My 3 year old cousin was diagnosed with diabetes (unsure what type or how far it has progressed). He lives in Mexico and has fallen into a coma 2 months ago and into another just recently. He is currently taking insulin but the mother feels this isn't of any use. Could you possibly help me get information on treatment for my cousin or literature in Spanish so we may send it to my aunt in Mexico? She is in great need of information and any answers to help her little boy. Any information would be of great help.

Answer:

This question was referred to several of our professional friends who we thought might have some knowledge of the situation:

From a friend who's a physician:

To start, ask them to get in touch with
Dr Israel Lerman
Sur 136 Esq. Observatorio
Torre de Consultorios
Hospital ABC
Colonia Las Americas
Mexico
Or
Dr. Juan Rull
Instituto nacional de Nutricion
Vasco de Quiroga 15
Col. Seccion 16, 1400
Mexico
Sorry, I don't have their phone numbers.

Another, VERY important step may be getting in touch with the President of the International Diabetes Federation, Sra. Maria de Alva, in Monterrey, phone 8-356-4967 or at home, 8-338-1483.

They can use my name.

Hope this is of help. Let me know what happens.

Arturo R. Rolla, MD
Boston, MA
rolla@world.std.com
(Dr. Rolla is an endocrinologist, and bilingual.)

From a friend who's a nurse practitioner:

My name is Tom Bartol and I am bilingual and work with Hispanic people with diabetes in Kansas City, MO. I may be able to help with literature in Spanish about diabetes. Where does your cousin live...what part of Mexico? Sounds like Type 1 diabetes. If you give me more information about where they are I can let you know if I know of local resources for them. If they have a VCR there are some free videos I could probably get to you to send them or also booklets in Spanish, etc. Let me know.

Tom Bartol, RNC
Family Nurse Practitioner
bartol@juno.com

From a friend who's a dietitian:

Regarding the inquiry for the family with a three-year old with diabetes in Mexico, I recommend putting them in touch with

Federacion de Asociaciones Mexicano de Diabetes
Calz. Del Valle 400
Local 17
Garza Garcia, N.L.
Mexico 66220
Phone (83) 56-49-67
Fax (83) 35-87-08

The President of this group is Maria De Alva. They have reading materials available and can put the lady in touch with other kinds of help closer to home. Since it is almost certain that this child needs to be insulin to survive, I hope this will expedite getting the mother some needed answers to her questions as quickly as possible.

Betty Brackenridge at Learning Rx
LearningRx@aol.com
(Betty is a dietitian working in Arizona)

[Editor's comment: We want to thank everyone who helped out with providing information to this question. WWQ]