Question:

From Syracuse, Italy:

My two year old daughter was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. The blood glucose level of the last few days, in fact, is keeping between 100-200.

I have tried to resume with numbers and graphics the course of the blood-glucose level and the urine-glucose level after the hospitalization. I have accertained that the kidney threshold is lower than 180 (I mean that the glucose in the urine appears when the blood-level is about 140), so the level of 1000 mg/dl in the urine corresponds at about a blood sugar level of 180-190.

What does it means? Is it good or not?

Answer:

Probably the best way way to assess long term control is to arrange with your doctor to do a test called the A1c test or glycosylated hemoglobin test. This measures the amount of glucose that is bound to hemoglobin. In normal people and using the commonest method the levels are about 2.5% to 6.2%; but these figures can vary quite a lot depending on the laboratory technique used. You must always therefore interpret a result in the light of the normal range for the method.

Roughly the figure reflects a median blood sugar value over the last three months or so. Two or more blood sugars at various times of the day and in relation to excercise are still important in getting a picture of control. It is a good idea to repeat this test every three or four months.

Measuring urine sugar now plays a much smaller role in control than it used to, and is probably not worth calculating. The reason is that blood sugar levels using one of the modern reflectometers gives much more immediate and relevant information. With urine sugars, dip stick testing can be misleading because of concentration problems and of course it's always difficult to relate urine sugars to what blood levels have been doing except in a rather broad way.

DO'B