From California, USA:

My son will be 14 in March. He was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on his 12th birthday so it's been almost 2 years. At first, we were seeing a specialist every 3 months and all was going well but then the group that he works for took on many more HMO clients and it was difficult to get hold of him. We switched to the only other specialist in town but found her to be superior acting and very condescending so we are going back to our first doctor.

Meanwhile, we have received a Mini-Med 507 insulin pump, and are starting to use it but it will be another month before we can see the doctor. We have started carefully with his basal rate: and the blood glucose swings widely because of the bolusing before meals. I have been afraid to raise the basal rate much because the meter comes set with a max of 2.0 for safety reasons and a bolus max of 10.0 also for safety reasons. I can change these but I was hoping you might have some better places to start.

Right now it is raining a lot so he is not very active which has raised his insulin needs but next week when he goes back to school it will be lower again. The school will not let him test in the classroom so he has to go to the office any time he feels the need to test and his teachers are not very nice about him showing up late to class if he has been to the office. He has P.E. 1st period and they don't do the same activity every day so we cannot plan his insulin. I am going to request they change his P.E. to 4th period, just before lunch and that should help. Do you have any suggestions on how to adjust his basal rates after he starts back to school? Also, would it be easier to use Humalog for his boluses until his basal rate is better established? And finally, where do people who only wear underpants to bed put their pump?

I think you need to be working closely with an endocrinologist familiar with pump therapy in adolescents. Whoever prescribed the pump has to be available to answer questions. I would call the doctor who most recently was advising you with the pump and ask these questions, even if it is the not the doctor you intend to stay with.

Updated 9 Jan 97