From New Jersey, USA:

My son is 32, Type 1, and has proliferative retinopathy. I'm trying to find help on nutrition classes. I have seen information for 3 classes requesting US$1200.00. Besides the information sheet that doctors give out, he needs to start over in nutrition area. There has to be a training area in this, without costing a lot of money. I would appreciate any help or advice. We have called several hospitals and they don't even have a diabetes group. Amazing how neglected this disease is for 1997.

In the United States, call 1-800-TEAMUP4, the information line for the American Association of Diabetes Educators, to get the name of nearby educators. They can help you find Registered Dietitians who are interested in diabetes.