Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

I'm 54, on Micronase oral medication [for Type 2 diabetes] and have has diabetes for about 5 years. Is fructose is a "legal" substitute sweetener for diabetics? Anything bad about it?

Answer:

The advantage of fructose is that you can use 2/3 the amount of it in comparison to sugar and get the same sweetness. For example, in a recipe, rather than adding 1 teaspoon of sugar, add 2/3 teaspoon of fructose.

In several studies there was a blunted response to fructose in comparison to sugar, blood sugar levels did not peak as rapidly. The only disadvantage I am aware of is that in large amounts fructose can adversely effect your blood lipid levels. So, using it in moderation can be helpful in providing some sweetness with less carbohydrate.

MH