From Kansas City, Missouri, USA:

Recently my 4 year-old son went to his first dental appointment and we discovered one of his molars (which he will keep until 12) had lost most of its protective enamel. A friend had mentioned this could be a sign of diabetes. Is this true, and if so, what are some others clues to be looking for?

Diabetic children often have poor teeth, as much due to drinking acidic sugar free drinks as anything else. However, I have not heard of diabetes presenting with dental problems. Without other symptoms such as drinking and urinating excessively, I think diabetes is highly unlikely.