Question:

From Kansas City, Missouri, USA:

Recently my 4 year-old son went to his first dental appointment and we discovered one of his molars (which he will keep until 12) had lost most of its protective enamel. A friend had mentioned this could be a sign of diabetes. Is this true, and if so, what are some others clues to be looking for?

Answer:

Diabetic children often have poor teeth, as much due to drinking acidic sugar free drinks as anything else. However, I have not heard of diabetes presenting with dental problems. Without other symptoms such as drinking and urinating excessively, I think diabetes is highly unlikely.