Question:

For many years I was on beef and pork insulin. I developed atrophy in the injection sites. Now I'm on Humulin R and Ultralente (3 injections per day). I have puffiness in all the areas that I inject into. What causes this? Is there anything I can do to stop it?

Answer:

Yes, rotate your injection sites.

Lipohypertrophy (the fancy name for the swelling at injection sites) is much commoner than lipoatrophy with human insulins. The problem arises when the same site is used repeatedly without appropriate rotation. I often demonstrate that I can cover all their injection marks with a 5p piece - the smallest British coin. The insulin gets stuck at the site and its action locally is to encourage the development of fat. It will take at least 3 months for this to disappear if the site is left alone.

Insulin is absorbed at different rates depending upon where it's injected so you have to have a pattern for your injections rather than just administering it randomly. You haven't told me where you currently inject but legitimate sites are upper outer arms, anterior and lateral thighs and the abdomen. Talk to your diabetes team about the appropriate rotation for you.