Question:

From America OnLine:

My 9-year-old son has been a Type 1 diabetic for almost two years. I am getting a lot of pressure from extended family to stop taking my son to our pediatric resident. The doctor is okay. We have not had any serious problems with him. However, he is extremely busy and so appointments have been canceled, etc. He is in contact with a pediatric endocrinologist for any questions.

Should we switch our son over to an endocrinologist? What are the advantages, disadvantages, etc., in regard to seeing either the resident pediatrician or the endocrinologist?

Answer:

I am not quite clear what you mean by the 'Pediatric Resident,' but assume you mean one of the doctors in training in your nearest teaching hospital. They can often provide accessible and devoted care and since they are in training they have someone to refer to if they need help.

At the same time they inevitably move on at the end of June into practice, into a Fellowship, or into another residency. For that reason alone I think you should look for a pediatric endocrinologist or a pediatrician with a special interest in diabetes, someone you and your son both like and whom you can stay with through the adolescent years.

DO'B