My 20 year old daughter was diagnosed with juvenile Type 1 diabetes two and one-half years ago. She has been insulin-dependent since then. She went through her honeymoon period several months after onset. For the past two weeks she has been insulin-free and her glucose levels have been consistently within normal ranges. We believe she has been miraculously healed of this disease. I would appreciate a medical comment on this. Thank you.

This question was referred to several members of the Diabetes Team, who have each given an answer:

Answer from Dr. Quick:

It's difficult to understand what happened without looking at the entire medical record; I'd wonder if she's still in the honeymoon period. Unless I saw the data, I'd be very reluctant to believe that she's now in a total remission. (Note: I didn't use the word "cure;" I am unaware of any cases of cures of diabetes.)

Answer from Dr. Lebinger:

Do we know she is not still in her honeymoon remission?

Answer from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

Perhaps she has Type 1.5 diabetes?

Answer from Dr. Robertson:

If you are correct that your daughter no longer requires insulin then I am delighted. However, this would have to mean that the original diagnosis was wrong. Doctors have a reputation for being sceptical so I have nothing to lose when I tell you that I have seen patients like your daughter who have apparently come off insulin but it later becomes apparent that they were taking surreptitious doses of insulin. I hope that the latter is not true here but whatever is going on, your daughter needs to see her diabetes team soon.