From Indiana, USA:

My son is 3 1/2 years old and was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Our pediatrician believes he is in a honeymoon period. Is there a means to extend that period? I have read that the drug Imuran has been used to treat some patients. Is this something we should consider?

There have been many trials and studies looking at ways to prolong the honeymoon period in diabetes. Most of them have been by suppressing the immune system in some way -- this is what Imuran does. Sadly, although some interventions seem to work for a short while (while they are being taken) nothing has been proven to be of any long (or even medium) term benefit.

A further problem is that the majority of the drugs tried are quite toxic in themselves. Nonetheless, this is an area under intense research and you can expect to hear more about it. One issue that is still debated, is whether intensive insulin therapy (intravenous) at diagnosis makes any significant difference to the honeymoon period.