I am a 45 year old male Type 1 diabetic and have been a diabetic for 8 years. Recently I have gained a lot of weight. I am anxious to lose this excess weight but every time I try and diet I have the most terrible hypos. How do I overcome this problem of balancing insulin intake with reduced food intake?

You've got to cut back on your insulin doses progressively as you cut back on food and increase your exercise. If your doctor hasn't set up guidelines for how to do this, talk to an experienced endocrinologist or diabetes nurse educator.