From Corning, New York, USA:

I am a 34 year old female, 5'2", 115 pounds and run 10 miles per week. My mother was diagnosed with adult onse10 miles per week. My mother was diagnosed with adult onset diabetes at the age of 47. I have two children ages four and two. Our diets are above average in healthiness, low in meat, no dairy products and limited sugar. Is there any reason we should avoid sugar intake altogether?

It sounds like you are doing what you need to do to decrease your chances of developing Type 2 diabetes, the kind your mother has, by exercising, eating healthy and staying slim. There is no need to avoid milk or sugar, as far as diabetes risks go. In fact, if you are not consuming milk, make sure you get enough calcium from other sources.