I have had Type 1 diabetes for many years. I have recently started on Humalog (Lispro), and I have heard that it has not yet been researched in pregnancy. I am considering attempting to become pregnant and I was wondering if I should go off Humalog and back to Regular?

I am being very, very cautious with my recommendation to my patients about use of lispro insulin (Humalog® brand) during pregnancy, as lispro really isn't that different from Regular except its timing, and there's the unknown issue of what the chances might be that it might cause harm to the developing fetus. Although I suspect it's probably safe, the last time I talked with the people from the manufacturer (Eli Lilly), they didn't have any data on the outcome of any pregnancy where the mom was using lispro insulin. As I mentioned in an answer to a previous question, "Until I see substantial amounts of data on its safety in pregnancy, I will not recommend that my patients planning conception switch to it."

In your case, if you are planning a pregnancy soon and were my patient, I'd advise resuming use of Regular insulin before the pregnancy. (On the other hand, if you're doing well on lispro, and are not planning pregnancy for several more years, stay on the lispro and use contraception if sexually active. Perhaps by the time you want kids in a few more years, Lilly will have the data to help you and your doctor decide whether it's truly safe for use in pregnancy).