From Maine, USA:

I have an adult friend - mid 30's - who just told me she was told by a doctor she had a blood glucose reading of 350 or so and was at "high risk" for developing diabetes. My son (7) has Type 1 so I know that 350 is very high - and I was tempted to tell her to get an appointment with an endocrinologist ASAP. Her doctor doesn't seem to be treating this aggressively - no medication and just put her on a diet. I am worried about this approach because of the side effects of diabetes and knowing that Type 2's often go years without treatment.

Should I get involved and suggest that she see a diabetes specialist - or should I sit back and assume her Primary Care physician knows what is going on? Any advice would be appreciated!

I'd suspect there's been an error somewhere:

1. Was her sugar really 350? If so, she's got diabetes for sure.
  2. Was her sugar really 350, her doc really concerned, and she's minimizing the diabetes for some reason? If so, she's in major denial.
  3. Was her doc really implying to minimize it? if so, she's got the wrong doc.