From Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada:

I have a 4 year boy who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 3 months ago. We are having great difficulty getting him to eat foods with protein in it. Any suggestions or ideas on how to get him to eat protein? He is an extremely fussy eater. I look forward to your ideas.

A four year old does not need a lot of protein but offering it in forms they like may help. For example, macaroni and cheese, string cheese, cut up lunch meats, ground hamburger etc..are easy to eat and often enjoyed by young children. For fussy eaters, offering foods (3 meals and 3 snacks at timed intervals) consisting of a variety of foods, some of which you'd like them to eat, often works. Let them decide how much and what they want, of what is offered. Try not to engage in power struggles, ie. requiring them to eat certain foods, because oftentimes this leads to ongoing battles. A book I'd recommend which goes into more detail is Sweet Kids, How to Balance Diabetes Control and Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and published by the American Diabetes Association.