Question:

From Illinois, USA:

I am 36 years old, have 3 children. My first born was in 1985. I was diabetic during ny first and second pregnancies. Supposedly I was no longer diabetic after giving birth, due to blood tests right after. However I was. That was 11 years ago.

Now and the last 5-9 years I've been a severe brittle diabetic, with major low sugars, which steal away my short term memory cells with no root memory. I have had some major lows with bad consequences, muscle spasms, walking with no "lights on in my head." I eat properly and timely take my meds (NPH and Regular insulin).

Now I am on Buspar [a prescription medication for emotional stress] and my sugars have more than stabilized, within the limits. Totally amazing, am I missing something else in my body that I don't know or haven't been told about? My sugars have been on a up and downhill skiing trip for so long that this to me is miraculous.

What please can you tell me about this kind of diabetes? I'm not sure which type I have, as I've never been directly told. It seems to me that the hyperglycemia is somehow involved with my diabetes and the Buspar has given it something to balance on on. As when I ran out my sugars went wild again. I'm totally serious! One doctor told me I'm one in 500 diabetics. It is really hard to work with. I'm back on Buspar/buspirone again. Can you send me any explanation about this type of diabetes. Please?

Answer:

You have certainly had a difficult time with your diabetes. From what you tell us though, it does not sound as though you have any special type. With your first two children you had what is called gestational diabetes, a condition where the biological stresses of pregnancy temporarily exacerbate an underlying insufficiency of the insulin secreting cells. Although there is usually a temporary recovery after pregnancy, permanent clinical diabetes often develops, as in your case, at a later date.

It is possible that you have a late form of Type 1 diabetes, which is a disorder of the immune system rather like rheumatoid arthritis. In the end, this ends up with a permanent need to take insulin. It is more likely however that you have conventional Type 2 diabetes, which needs to be treated by diet, sometimes with oral medication, and sometimes with insulin. That this has often been difficult is more likely to be due to the stress of the condition for which you are taking Buspirone than to an unusual variant of Diabetes.

DO'B