From Canada:

I am 42 years old and have been diabetic for 2 years. On NPH and Regular insulin in the morning and at supper. I go to the gym three mornings a week. I do not have anything to eat or drink before I go to the gym to exercise. My blood sugar is higher after an hour's exercise than if I just get up and go to work. Why?

I assume you are getting up the same time and taking your insulin at the same time on the days you go to the gym as on the days you do not go to the gym. If you are getting up at different times or taking your insulin at different times, this may partly explain the difference. It is also possible that your are "rebounding" on days that you wake up with a low blood sugar (after a low blood sugar, the body can overreact by pulling stored sugar from the liver which will raise the blood sugar).

Usually, exercise will lower the blood sugar. If ketones are present, or there is not enough insulin available, the opposite may occur. You are taking a somewhat unusually high proportion of insulin in the morning compared to the evening dose. It is quite possible that your morning NPH is working well into the night and early morning and wearing off by 5:30 AM. You may want to discuss with your physician rearranging your insulin to take less in the AM and more in the PM to have more insulin working in the early morning hours. You should not make any changes without discussing them with your own physician.