From Virginia, USA:

I am a newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetic [one month ago]. I am 37 years old, 5'8" and 162 lbs. Right now I'm just taking 7U NPH am and pm and trying to get used to monitoring, etc. Two questions: I have been taking insulin and eating right after; with NPH, is that okay? Also, what is the desired sugar level (or range) that I should be attempting to maintain?

If your only insulin is NPH then it will make little difference if you eat immediately after an injection or wait 20-30 minutes because the insulin won't begin working for a couple of hours. I assume that you are on twice daily NPH because your control is good (likely since you are just diagnosed) but I am alarmed that your diabetes team have not given you blood sugar targets to aim at. In general, and assuming that you've not had a lot of bad hypos, you should be aiming for a blood sugar in the range of 4-10mmol/L (70-180 mg/dL) before meals.