Question:

From Indiana, USA:

My son is 3 1/2 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes [a month ago]. One person has recommended chelation treatments. I would like to know more about exactly what chelation treatment is, what is the treatment's goals, and why most medical professionals believe it to be quackery.

Answer:

"Chelation therapy" has been proposed as a method of "flushing" out the arteries, using a highly toxic prescription drug called EDTA that is FDA-approved for other reasons. I am unaware of any information that EDTA does any good either for cleansing the arteries or for diabetes.

For other information, see the American Diabetes Association's comments on Unproven Therapies.

WWQ

Updated January 16, 2006