Question:

From Sheridan, Wyoming, USA:

What are chances of my son age 29 diagnosed at 14 with Type 1 diabetes passing diabetes to his children? No other instances of Type 1 diabetes in either my family or his fathers - however, in father's family, several sisters in ages of 60 or so have Type 2 diabetes.

Answer:

Assuming that your son doesn't marry someone who also has Type 1 Diabetes, the chances of any children developing the disorder at any time in their lives are about 1 in 16 for each birth. If this is a concern the parents might like to arrange to send a cord blood sample for HLA typing which will give an indication as to whether the baby is 'at special risk' or perhaps has a protective gene. In the first instance it is quite possible that some form of vaccination will soon be available at least on an investigational basis.

DO'B

[Editor's comment: HLA typing, vaccinations, and other tactics to deal with the risk of diabetes are all state-of-the-art concepts. They aren't in widespread use yet. WWQ]

[Editor's comment: For more information, see The Risk of Developing Type 1 Diabetes and other questions about genetics and heredity. JSH]