Question:

From America OnLine:

My 5 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 6 months ago. I have been getting different advice on his diet. I am currently reading a book by J.M. Whitaker on reversing diabetes. He suggests a high carbohydrate, low fat diet, along with the elimination of meats, among other things. Is this the way to go? It makes sense when you read it, but I'm just not sure.

Answer:

Diet is one of the planks of diabetes management but I'm sorry to say that it can't reverse the process of islet cell destruction. The recommended diet is just the same as that for anyone else, i.e., low fat, high fibre and high in complex (starchy) carbohydrates with plenty of fruit and vegetables. I personally don't recommend vegetarianism but there may be some arguments for it. However, I think it is positively malicious to suggest that avoidance of meat will in any way reverse diabetes.