From Texas, USA:

My thirteen year old daughter was diagnosed three months ago with Type 1. She takes two injections a day of 70/30. She is doing very well with giving her own injections, except every once in a while, she "hits something hard in there," and she says it really hurts. It always makes her cry, and it upsets her very much. She thinks it is a vein, for some reason. I have no idea. Tendon? Muscle fiber? Bone? How could it be a scar tissue lump so soon? Anyway, it upsets her so much that I then have to give her the injection at some other site.

Even experienced shot givers will occasionally give a shot that hurts a lot. It is virtually impossible to hit a vein or bone in a 13 year old who is injecting at the usual injection sites. It is unlikely she is injecting into muscle or tendon either. Most likely, she just hit a sensitive spot. You can reassure her that she hasn't "harmed" herself, even if the injection hurt or caused some bleeding (the bleeding isn't from a vein, but from some small blood vessels in the skin). There is no danger when this occurs.

You may want to discuss with your child's physician trying the new BD syringes that have a shorter and thinner needle (30 gauge - short). They are available on 30 unit and 50 unit syringes, but not 100 unit syringes. Most people say they really do hurt less.