Approximately three months ago I took my five year old son in to the emergency room because he was having a pain in his side. After doing some blood work, his doctor noticed that his blood sugar level was slightly higher than normal. His reading was 195. He was admitted in to the hospital and had his blood sugar levels monitored many times a day for a period of five days. The entire time he was in the hospital his readings during the day stayed around the 180 mark, with the exception of one reading of 235, and he was sent home with instructions of diet and for us to monitor his blood sugar level four times a day.

At first it seemed his blood sugar levels were easily controlled by exercise and diet. However, about four weeks ago, his blood sugar levels shot up in to the 300's and he came down with the Chicken Pox. His Chicken Pox came and went but the high blood sugar levels remained. The doctor instructed me to give him Regular insulin as needed until we could establish what his body needs in terms of a more long-acting insulin. Since he began having shots of insulin, his blood sugar levels have been very erratic. For example, some times he will go an entire day without needing a shot at all, while other days he may need two or possibly even three shots a day.

I am confused as to why some days it appears as though his pancreas is functioning normally and others it appears as though his pancreas is not working at all. I would really appreciate some insight in to why this occurs and what I can expect in the future.

It sounds like your child's pancreas is in the process of gradually failing to make insulin (which is usually the way diabetes develops). Insulin production by the body may be erratic at this time.

I am not sure why at this point your child's physician is not giving insulin daily to prevent the high blood sugars rather than waiting for them to go high and chasing them down with Regular.

I would make sure that you are working closely with a pediatric endocrinologist and ask these questions directly to your child's physician.