Question:

From Dayton, Ohio, USA:

I have 3 questions.

1. Our son was diagnosed with diabetes at age 9 1/2. He is now 12 1/2. His Hemoglobin A1Cs have been in the 6-7 range since his diagnosis. What are the chances he will attain his full-potential adult height if the A1Cs stay in a decent range?

2. Our son is getting braces soon. I'm concerned about him not being able to eat solid food because of soreness for the first couple of days or so. Is a mostly-liquid diet OK for a 2-3 day period as long as he's getting the same amount of carbohydrates?

3. What is the insulin/carbohydrate ratio using just Regular insulin? Will 1 unit of Regular insulin cover 15 carbohydrates?

Answer:

Three answers:

1. Good control throughout the period of growth will result in normal final height.
  2. Mostly liquid diet is fine during periods of illness.
  3. I don't really like the idea of using such a formula for "sick days." I think it's generally better to stick to normal insulin doses and to make up the carbohydrate in whatever way you can. Basically, however, you need to do extra sugars to guide appropriate insulin and carbohydrate. Speak to your diabetes team for detail.

[Editor's comment: It's usually advised that one unit of Regular insulin will cover about 10-15 grams of carbohydrate. Talk it over with your son's dietitian. WWQ]