Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Feb 1997

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My 8 year old daughter, who has been diabetic since age 5, was placed on Lispro insulin 4 months ago. In the past two weeks she has developed severe constipation. Could the Lispro have played a hand in this? (28 Feb 97)

2. Our son is 4 years old. He practices sports at same time of the day. He takes one snack of 20 grams carbohyrdates one hour before starting exercise. His blood sugar is usually about 200, but before his evening shot he is 300 to 350. Is the blood sugar increase due to exercise? (28 Feb 97)

3. I was so worried when I read about the mother who lost her daughter due to ketoacidosis. This weekend my son had 3+ ketones in his urine and a stomachache. I gave him more insulin, let him have a lot of water to drink and tested his sugar levels often. Was I wrong in doing so or do you think I had to take him to hospital? (28 Feb 97)

4. A few months ago my son had high glucose readings for two days (over 250's) which then returned to normal within a few days. We have tested his blood daily at home since that time and until last week the readings were all within normal ranges. But then last week they again rose to close to 200. (28 Feb 97)

5. Last year my teenage cousin (15 years old) was diagnosed with diabetes. At times he refuses to take his shots, or follow his diet and exercise program. This is very difficult for his parents. What sort of organizations out there that can help parents deal with this? (28 Feb 97)

6. My sister is only 16 years old and she has diabetes. I am very concerned about her because she never takes care of herself and yesterday she confessed me she was pregnant. I really worried about her because I know it's very dangerous for diabetics to have kids. Do you have any suggestions on what should she do? (26 Feb 97)

7. I recently had a strep throat. My doctor prescribed two medications: Zovirax and also Veetids. My question is will these two meds taken together cause blood sugar levels to drop drastically? My sugar levels have been bottoming out since being on this medication and I can't figure out why. (26 Feb 97)

8. I just saw an advertisement for a jet injector. I would like to know if it is "virtually" pain-free and reliable as a regular needle. Our daughter is 4 1/2 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 6 months ago. (26 Feb 97)

9. I'm a 32 year old female, Type One diabetic since age ten. I began running on a daily basis close to two years ago. Four months ago, after a five mile road race, I developed a stress fracture just below the joint in my upper right leg. Am I predisposed to such injuries as a diabetic? (26 Feb 97)

10. Often when our eight year old daughter with Type 1 has pasta for dinner, her blood glucose numbers are good several hours later at her bedtime, but they go high by the middle of the night. Curiously, this problem occurs mostly with long pasta, sometimes with short pasta, and almost never with very short pasta. (26 Feb 97)

11. Our newly diagnosed 4 year old daughter seems to get quicker onsets and shorter durations of both Actrapid [Regular insulin] and Insulatard [NPH insulin] than the manufacturers state. How much is known about the timescales of action of insulin in very young children? (25 Feb 97)

12. I have a history of Type 2 diabetes in my family. My 9 year old daughter has been tested twice in the past year for hypoglycemia. Both tests were positive. She continues to suffer from episodes of low blood sugar. Could this problem indicate that she may have diabetes? (25 Feb 97)

13. I am a 15 year old teenager who just had the glucose tolerance test. My curve started with 101 and after an hour of having drank a glass of water with sugar, my glucose in the blood was of 132. My diagnosis was "pre-diabetes." Could you tell me if this diagnosis is correct? (25 Feb 97)

14. I am a school counselor and have an 8 year old student just diagnosed with Type 1. Upon return to school, he has become defiant and rude to the staff. This is also happening at home. Do you have any literature or suggestions to help deal with the emotional outbursts and how long should this behavior last? (23 Feb 97)

15. I was wondering if brain cells die from low blood sugar, even when a person is conscious and coherent? (23 Feb 97)

16. I'm male, 14 years old, in a "honeymoon" phase of IDDM. How can I realize that this period is finishing? (23 Feb 97)

17. I have heard so much contradictory information on the possible link between milk and diabetes. What is the current state of research on this issue? (23 Feb 97)

18. I'm 22 years old and I'm Type 1 diabetic for a year and a half. Till now I'm injecting only 8 units of insulin per day. I think it's homeopathy in general that helps me. If you don't believe in possibility of alternative medicine, how do you explain the low dosage of insulin I manage with? (23 Feb 97)

19. Can you please explain a patient's greatest fears towards injections? How do you help them overcome those fears? To what degree does the "injection" become less of a factor for a diabetic over time? (21 Feb 97)

20. We are having a problem deciding which blood glucose machine to use. We started out with the One Touch Profile and then we bought the Glucometer Elite. How do I find out which machine is the best one? (21 Feb 97)

21. My son is now 16 years old and has had diabetes since he was 7 years old. His glycosylated hemoglobin results are always over the test standard range, e.g., if the range for that test is reported as being 4-8, his results was 9. Can you enlighten me as to the "normal" variance in a teenager. (21 Feb 97)

22. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 5 years and in the past couple of months have had a real problem to keep my bloodsugar in normal ranges. Especially, I don't understand why my blood sugar is higher when I wake up than just before I go to sleep if I don't eat any snack in the evening. Is there a logical reason? (21 Feb 97)

23. My son is 10 years old and he is on Humulin 20/80 twice a day--20 units in the mornings and 10 units in the evenings. How do you really know if you inject too much insulin? (21 Feb 97)

24. I often wonder if a cure will ever be found, or is there too much money to be made by drug companies selling insulin, needles, etc? (21 Feb 97)

25. My son was diagnosed with IDDM one week ago. In the last two days, his vision has become blurry to the point where he can hardly read. His blood sugar levels are running a little high right now. Can the insulin or the diabetes be the cause of his blurred vision? (19 Feb 97)

26. Our teenage daughter (14) was diagnosed at age 5. Lately she has cut down her insulin doses so that she doesn't have to eat as much. Her diet consists of mostly vegetables and fruit. She's gotten quite thin. What is the danger to her of possibly being anorexic? (19 Feb 97)

27. What is the recommended time that insulin can remain at room temperature? (19 Feb 97)

28. My nine-year-old daughter (Type 1 since age 2) went to a pool party and noticed a sign at the hot tub that said diabetics needed permission from their doctors to use the tub. She was very upset. Why are diabetics advised to consult their doctor before using a hot tub? (19 Feb 97)

29. Do stress and hormones really affect your blood sugar levels? If they do, how? (19 Feb 97)

30. My 6 year old daughter has high blood sugar at the midmorning time. It currently runs about 300 to 400 mg/dl. It returns to normal about 12:30 P.M. Her high blood sugar is very evident in her behavior. (18 Feb 97)

31. Our first child developed diabetes when she was 3 and now she is almost 7. Our baby developed diabetes when she was only 2 and now she's almost 4. There is no family history of Type 1 diabetes in any of our families. Could you please explain how this happened with no history? (18 Feb 97)

32. My younger son is an extremely brittle diabetic. He has been in severe DKA on several occasions. I live in a constant state of anxiety. Is there anyone else that is in the same boat? How do you deal with this and your child without letting this cripple both lives? (18 Feb 97)

33. My patient develops hives to NPH. So far we have been premedicating him with Benadryl [an antihistamine]. Have you found other creative solutions other than Lente and Ultralente? Could it be the preservatives? (18 Feb 97)

34. My son, 13, has had diabetes since the age of 7. He still to this day refuses to take his injections by himself. Please give me any advice you have to share. Also I would be glad to hear from other parents. (18 Feb 97)

35. I have heard that penicillin derivatives such as amoxicillin if given to children under two or one year can give diabetes later in life. Is this true? How many times during a year can a child get penicillin with no risk? (18 Feb 97)

36. I am twelve years old and have Type 1 diabetes. I have been doing exercise on a regular basis. I always do the same thing at the same time of the day. Why are my blood tests never the same? (16 Feb 97)

37. My five year old son has had Type 1 diabetes for almost a year. Yesterday I realized I forgot to give him his morning insulin, when his pre-lunch reading was "Hi". What is the best way to handle forgetting a shot? (16 Feb 97)

38. I've been on two needles a day for 9 years now and have been in denial since. I was wondering how to overcome this denial. I never look after it. The only thing I do is take the needles. (16 Feb 97)

39. My son was diagnosed at age 5; he is now 10. The 5 years he has been taking insulin he has used B-D Ultrafine needles. We recently tried the B-D short needle and we found his blood sugars started rising. (16 Feb 97)

40. Our primary care physician says our child should do what he advises. That's fine with us if we can be sure this is the correct recommendation. I contacted a pediatric endocrinologist, but he doesn't see new patients without a referral. Our PCP says no further evaluation is necessary. What do you suggest? (16 Feb 97)

41. I have a 6 year old son who was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. What is the possibility of him having a severe (or moderate for that matter) low episode while he sleeps? Can he pass out while sleeping? Will he wake up if he gets "low" symptoms? (16 Feb 97)

42. My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when she was 5 years old. She is now 9. I love to bake cakes but since I can't use Equal [aspartame] for cooking and I don't want to use saccharin base sugar substitute, can I use fructose sugar instead? (14 Feb 97)

43. My son who is 28 and has had Type 1 Diabetes for 3 years heard something on a TV local news show about nasal spray insulin, but we have not been able to find out anything about it. Has there been any recent developments in the research or testing of nasal spray of Insulin? (14 Feb 97)

44. I was recently diagnosed as Type 1 diabetic based upon my Islet Cell Antibody (ICA) test being positive. The reading was a value of 80. Is this a high or low number? (14 Feb 97)

45. We have an 8 year old son who was diagnosed 3 years ago. We have always had a difficult time regulating his blood sugars. Our endocrinologist would like to try 4 injections a day of either Humalog or Regular with no long acting insulin. Can someone please explain to me how this works without the long acting insulin? (14 Feb 97)

46. I am an 18 years old student from Puerto Rico. I am a female and have diabetes (Type 1) since I was 7 years old. I have a very big problem. I am a bulimic. I have been with therapists for years but it is getting worse. Do you think it is a good idea to hospitalize me? (14 Feb 97)

47. My daughter is 7 years old. We occasionally get low blood sugar readings just before a meal and shot. Our strategy has been to give her juice or other carb right away, and hold off giving the insulin until we sit down to eat. But, I'm not sure if we are timing the insulin and food appropriately. (11 Feb 97)

48. My brother was recently diagnosed as having diabetes. What information would definitely give you some idea of whether he's Type 1 or 2? What is the difference between a Type 2 who takes a bit of insulin and a Type 1 with residual insulin production? (11 Feb 97)

49. Our doctors would like our children, ages 3 and 6, to start on Humalog. They said they would be able to eat what ever they wanted within reason. They would not be on a diet anymore, you just have to count carbohydrates and give the Humalog according to carbs counted. This doesn't sound correct to us. (11 Feb 97)

50. Could you tell me about niacinamide? Should our 5 year old be taking it? Are there any side effects? He was diagnosed with diabetes about 5 months ago. (11 Feb 97)

51. My daughter, 11 years old, was diagnosed 3 months ago. Since then we have been able to get all of her blood sugar readings under pretty good control except for her supper readings. I feel so discouraged. I don't know what to do. I keep increasing her NPH in the morning but I feel like I never see any progress. (11 Feb 97)

52. I am interested in using the NovoPen 1.5 injection device but I don't know if it can be used with Becton-Dickinson pen needles. Can I use the NovoPen with a Becton pen needle? And can I use the NovoPen with Lilly insulin? (9 Feb 97)

53. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 4 months ago. I am 22 years old. I am hoping to have a baby in the next year or so. Can you please tell me if periodic high numbers before and during pregnancy are threatening to an unborn baby? (9 Feb 97)

54. I have seen hand held calorie counters. Is there anything that you know of that has a carbohydrate counter as well? (9 Feb 97)

55. I am 9 years old and have had diabetes since age 6 1/2. I am doing a report for school on diabetes in order to learn more about it myself. Could you tell me how the knowledge and treatment of juvenile diabetes changed over the years? (9 Feb 97)

56. My son is 14. He weighs about 140 lbs and is 5 feet, 9 inches. We have been increasing the insulin, where he now takes 52 units of Lente in the morning. Even then, before dinner sugars are generally in the 200-250 range. Is there some mix of insulins that would be effective at certain times? (9 Feb 97)

57. My son eats constantly from the time he gets home at around 3 pm until he goes to bed. He is constantly hungry. We are already using the "free" foods like salads, diet soda, popsicles, etc. but they are not satisfying for him. (9 Feb 97)

58. Our 9 year old takes NPH and Humalog at breakfast, Humalog at dinner and NPH at bed. When her AM shot is during the week before school (7am) her dinner reading is high. But on weekends when her AM shot is later (9am) her dinner reading is okay. Any suggestions? (9 Feb 97)

59. I'm male, 14 years old, in a "honeymoon" phase of IDDM. How can I realize when this period is finishing? In the last two months I have had discordant values of the glycohemoglobin; The last was 8. (9 Feb 97)

60. My niece with very low blood sugar since her birth was discovered to have an abnormal pancreas, and surgeons removed 90% of it in a high risk surgery. The biopsy showed a disease called nesidioblastosis; are you familiar with it? (9 Feb 97)

61. What's the effect of LSD on diabetes? (8 Feb 97)

62. I am 23 years old and was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 2 years ago. However, I was wondering if I would eventually become Type 1? (8 Feb 97)

63. I have access to a blood glucose meter. I am interested in testing myself and my wife, and need to know the proper procedure for when to take blood readings. Also need to know appropriate levels of blood sugar to determine whether I need to see a doctor. (8 Feb 97)

64. I would like your opinion on the validity of the glycohemoglobin test. Do you believe it is a necessary diagnostic tool? If so, what is a normal range for a Type 1 diabetic of 29 years? (8 Feb 97)

65. I would like to know about a pancreas and kidney transplant combination. (8 Feb 97)

66. I am 28 years old and just recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I am also nearsighted and have been for about 7 years. After a week and half of taking Insulin, my vision has improved so much that I don't even need to wear glasses anymore. Is this a normal reaction? (3 Feb 97)

67. My daughter has Trisomy 21. Insulin dependent diabetes was diagnosed when she was 7 months old. She is now 2 years old. Is there any information or data to suggest that she will or will not in time be able to manage her diabetes as she gets older? (3 Feb 97)

68. I am 36 years old and have Type 2 diabetes. I would like to know what my sugar level should be at different times of the day. Is 161 mg/dl in the afternoon after lunch good or bad? What should it run in the evening? All I ever read about is what it should be after fasting or first thing in the morning. (3 Feb 97)

69. My father has hereditary diabetes and now I am starting to experience some of the symptoms. I don't know what to do and need more information. I am too scared to tell my parents because I do not want them to worry. Need advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. (3 Feb 97)

70. My four year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in November 1996. I was told she is in the honeymoon period. How long can we expect this honeymoon period to last? Also, I have a 6 and 8 year old and wonder if they should be tested. (3 Feb 97)

71. My son was diagnosed a little over a year ago. My relatives buy him the sugarless and sugarfree candy. This is where I get confused. What is sugar alcohol? Wouldn't it be better just to let him have a regular piece of candy and work it into his diet? (3 Feb 97)

72. I know that a person with diabetes should not smoke, but I haven't found anything about second hand smoke and its effects on diabetes. Do you have any information for me? (3 Feb 97)

73. Our son, who has IDDM, is experiencing some very high blood glucose levels and big swings during the morning. For instance he will wake up at 7 am and be 14.1 mmol/l (253 mg/dl) then at 10 am he is 25.2 (453 mg/dl) and then at noon he is 3.6 (64.8 mg/dl). (2 Feb 97)

74. I think Americans are far too neurotic about diabetes. The secret is to live a normal life. Tell people close to you but the world is not interested in you. (2 Feb 97)

75. I am interested in finding out what the rate of incidence of insulin dependent diabetes is in any of the Scandinavian countries. (2 Feb 97)

76. My friend has had insulin dependant diabetes for just over three years. His medical consultant has recommended that he take phenylalamine, hydroxycobalamine injections, and lofepramine tabs. This is apparently to 'kick start' some of the islets of langerhans. We cannot find any information on this. (2 Feb 97)

77. Our son is 9 years old and is Type 1. Our question has to do with his fluctuating blood sugar levels. In the same day, for no reason he could go from 50 to 350 and not be sick, overly active or eating incorrect foods. (2 Feb 97)

78. Our daughter 7 years old. We belong to an HMO so she does not see the same doctor each time she goes for a minor problem. Each time the doctor finds her blood sugar to be high because of her illness. They panic and suggest treatment over and above the endocrinologist's suggestions for "Sick Day Treatment." (2 Feb 97)

79. My 3 year old daughter became ill on New Year's Day. I took her to the Emergency Room, and told them I thought she might have diabetes. They did a blood test and confirmed diabetes with ketoacidosis. She started having seizures and never again gained consciousness. She was pronounced brain dead 48 hours later. (2 Feb 97)

80. I am 57 years old and have a sugar level of 181, which my doctor has considered high and has put me on medication. Can you help me by telling me which fruits are the best for me and the least amount of natural sugar, in that order? (1 Feb 97)

81. Our daughter is 11, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 6 years ago. She has two large lumps on her stomach which are hard and spreading. They are not on injection sites. Her doctor says they're fat deposits. What causes them and is there anything we can do about them? (1 Feb 97)

82. I have an 8 year old daughter that was diagnosed in May 96 with diabetes. She is having severe behavioural problems. The psychiatrist wants to put her on a tricyclic antidepressant. After reading the info on tricyclic antidepressants, I am very concerned about the side effects. (1 Feb 97)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts