From London, England:

My friend has had insulin dependant diabetes for just over three years. His medical consultant has recommended that he take phenylalamine [an amino acid], hydroxycobalamine injections [vitamin B12], and lofepramine tabs (usually for depression - of which he has none). This is apparently to 'kick start' some of the islets of langerhans. We cannot find any information on this, and no research publications. Can you please help?

I'm unaware of using these additional medications to help with diabetes.

It sounds like you're missing something: Does your friend have other medical conditions that need to be treated? (For example, the antidepressant drugs are helpful for diabetic painful neuropathy).

It would be appropriate for your friend to specifically request information about why these medications are being recommended: if there's not an understandable answer forthcoming, switch doctors.