Question:

From Fort Worth, Texas, USA:

I am 36 years old and have Type 2 diabetes. I have only been diagnosed with it for about one year. I would like to know what my sugar level should be at different times of the day. Is 161 mg/dl in the afternoon after lunch good or bad? What should it run in the evening? All I ever read about is what it should be after fasting or first thing in the morning.

I haven't had much experience with diabetes yet and would love to learn more. Could you tell me several good sites on the net that could help me? Thanks.

P.S. I couldn't find an adult diabetes question page.

Answer:

With respect to blood sugar levels: Blood sugars are neither "good" nor "bad;" they are "high" or "low" (or normal!). Before meals, sugar levels for non-diabetic adults are about 70-115; after meals, about 140 maximum. Based on this information, you can see that time of day isn't really as important as time with relationship to the last meal.

For more diabetes websites, look at On-Line Links at children with DIABETES, Diabetes Monitor, and On-line Resources for Diabetics.

There are no specific Question & Answer areas at this website for adults, although we'll occasionally answer questions for Type 2 adults (obviously!).

WWQ