From Provo, Utah, USA:

I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 4 months ago. I am 22 years old. I am very involved in learning as much as possible and checking my blood sugar levels 5-6 times a day. I am hoping to have a baby in the next year or so. I have read that prepregnancy and during pregnancy my blood sugar numbers must be in the 70-100 range. I am trying so hard to stay within in that range right now, but all of a sudden I'll have a reading of 160 or something. That is really frustrating and makes me worry about the effects of that on an unborn baby. Can you please tell me if periodic high numbers before and during pregnancy are threatening to an unborn baby?

Probably one of the most significant factors contributing to successful pregnancy outcome is preconceptual glucose control. Basically the closer that fasting and postprandial blood sugar values are to normal (I use less than 105 mg/dl fasting, and less than 130 mg/dl at 1 hour postprandial as guidelines) the greater the likelihood that the risk of congenital abnormalities will be minimized. However, do not drive yourself crazy over an occasional elevated blood glucose value. As a global view of your glucose control, it will be worthwhile measuring a hemoglobin A1C value. If this is in the normal range during the preconceptual period, there is also a reduced risk of effects on the fetus.

During pregnancy the same blood glucose values are followed. This is especially critical during the embryonic period (conception to 9 weeks gestation). But is also important throughout pregnancy to prevent excessive growth of the fetus.

The fact that you have had diabetes for a brief period of time places you in a relatively low risk group for pregnancy complication.