Question:

From Piedmont, California, USA:

My daughter is 7 years old and was diagnosed 8 months ago. We occasionally get low blood sugar readings (in the 50's) just before a meal and shot, say just before dinner or breakfast. Our strategy has been to give her juice or other carb right away, and hold off giving the insulin (a combination of Regular and NPH) until we sit down to eat. But, I'm not sure if we are timing the insulin and food appropriately. Recommendations?

Answer:

What you're doing is what we advise our families. However, if she's having lots of lows, you ought to talk to her diabetes team about decreasing the insulin dose(s).

SS