From San Juan, Puerto Rico:

Hi! I am an 18 years old student from Puerto Rico. I am a female and have diabetes (Type 1) since I was 7 years old. I have a very big problem, and woould like you to help me. I am a bulimic.

For many years I been dealing with my mental-weight problem. This is a very hard time for me. I always have high blood sugar levels. I can eat 2,000 calories and then through it up. I never use insulin because I feel that I can loose some weight if I am high I will go to the bathroom, and vomiting is much easier. This problem has been going on for 2 years and I have tried to stop but I can't. I am now at the University preparing myself for my future, but it is hard. I have been with therapists for all those years but it is getting worse. Do you think it is a good idea to hospitalize me? I need to break the cycle.

I think that if you have tried outpatient therapy for two years and your bulimia is still a significant issue it would be wise to try inpatient treatment (hospitalization). Oftentimes this intensive type of work can be very helpful and allow you to go on with your life and accomplish the things you desire. You are insightful to realize this problem will continue to get in the way if you don't take care of it soon.