From New York, USA:

I was recently diagnosed as Type 1 diabetic based upon my Islet Cell Antibody (ICA) test being positive. The reading was a value of 80. Is this a high or low number?

Without knowing why you were tested for antibodies and whether you are already on insulin it is difficult to answer your question precisely. I think though that you must have been tested in one of the laboratories that uses the fluorescent assay which reports ICA levels in JDF (Juvenile Diabetes Foundation) units. A value that is greater than 40 is considered positive and 80 would be unquestionable.

It is possible that you are ICA positive, but not yet on insulin in which case you might like to call The Diabetes Prevention Trial (DPT-1), P.O.Box 016960, Miami, Florida 33101; telephone 1-800-425-8361. This project is to find out if low doses of insulin at this stage can delay or prevent long term small blood vessel problems. If you are already on insulin, you would not be eligible.