Question:

From Fresno, California, USA:

I am twelve years old and have Type 1 diabetes. I have been doing exercise on a regular basis. I always do the same thing at the same time of the day. Why are my blood tests never the same?

Answer:

Good for you if you are doing regular exercise. Most of the 12 year olds in my clinic don't know what exercise is. There are so many things that vary from day to day - food type, where you give your injection, how deep the injection is, when you give it and when you eat, etc. etc. etc., that your blood sugars are bound to vary. What you are trying to achieve is to get them within an acceptable range most of the time. It sounds like you are doing a pretty good job because the first step is to be interested.