Question:

From America OnLine:

My son, 13, has had diabetes since the age of 7. He still to this day refuses to take his injections by himself. He manages doing everything else, knows how much insulin to take, even draws the shots, but once it is time to do the injections, he refuses. I have tried many things, autojectors, medijectors, he just refuses. I used to say to myself that he'll do it next year, but I'm starting to wonder and worry as to when he will ever do it for himself, I worry that if I were to get sick that no one else would know how. Please give me any advice you have to share. Also I would be glad to hear from other parents.

SLRD@aol.com

Answer:

What you describe is not such a very uncommon complication. Without knowing more about your family history it is hard to pinpoint the problem; but it probably reflects an anxiety about losing you as a support in facing the perceived burden of his diabetes. I believe that a medical social worker or a clinical psychologist with experience with this age group and diabetes could rectify this problem rather quickly. However there is no hurry and you should take your time to find the right person.

DO'B

[Editor's comment: Diabetes camp will be the obvious place for the reluctant camper to become a proficient shotshooter. Be sure your son goes! WWQ]