Question:

From Vancouver, Washington, USA:

We are having a problem deciding which blood glucose machine to use. We started out with the One Touch Profile and then we bought the Glucometer Elite. I love the Glucometer Elite because our son is 2 1/2 years old. Yesterday I tested my son on both machines and the Elite was 80 and the Profile was 162. I then did several tests and they were closer (98/109). How do I know which machine is right? I ran tests on both and they were working correctly. How do I find out which machine is the best one?

Answer:

All the meters are accurate when used properly. Be sure you've not getting air bubbles into the Elite strips; this can alter the readings. You can try using "Barbie basters" (our program's nickname for the little capillary tubes available from Lifescan) to collect samples for the Profile. At two-and-a-half years old, a lot of kids can use the Profile themselves with a little help and encouragement; the Elite might be harder for a youngster to use.

P.S. there's really no difference between values of 98 and 109.

SS

[Editor's comment: The things one learns! I never thought that the term "Barbie baster" would come into widespread usage, but Steph informs me that it's used by other pediatric diabetes programs, also. I always thought the clear plastic little squeeze thing looked like the float for Barbie's toilet tank, but the concept of a baster makes a bit more sense. Oh well. WWQ]